To celebrate our new exhibition ‘Art Brut | Jean Dubuffet’s revolution in the arts’ the Outsider Art Museum organizes a symposium in which we discuss the origins of Art Brut with art historians.
In 1949 Jean Dubuffet shocked Paris’s cultural elite with the ‘l’Art Brut’ exhibition. Exactly seventy years later this exhibition comes to the Netherlands for the first time. How did this unique art concept come about and what impact did the exhibition have? In the Dutch Art World, Dubuffet’s revolution was felt after Karel Appel visited the exhibition. Was Art Brut an important source of inspiration for him?
– Word of welcome by director and moderator Hans Looijen
– Lecture Sarah Lombardi, director Collection de l’Art Brut in Lausanne
– Lecture Hilde de Bruijn, senior curator Cobra Museum voor de Moderne Kunst
– Visit exhibition Art Brut | Jean Dubuffet’s revolution in the arts
– Drinks in the Outsider Art Galerie
At the Outsider Art Gallery you will also have the opportunity to view their new exhibition Fine Fleur
– End of program
Wednesday 30 January 2019 | 1.30 – 5.30 p.m.
Registration for the opening symposium by mail to email@example.com before Friday 18 January. Participation is free.
Outsider Art Museum | Hermitage Amsterdam | Amstel 51, Amsterdam